Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Roses That Stand Up to Heat

I love roses and have been working them into our landscape wherever I can find an opening. Like every Texas gardener seduced by roses, I'm trying to collect really tough plants.

Here are a few I can recommend and one I'd like to add.

 In my own garden I continue to have good luck with the lovely Gideon Lincecum.


 The flowers are pure white, open form and topped by large puffs of bright yellow stamens that the bees love. The leaves are a dark and leathery green. I have four of these plants in different locations, and they have each proven to be tough as well as beautiful.


Plus, to top it off, this rose produces big, gorgeous orange hips!


The Gideon Lincecum is one of the pioneer roses introduced by the Antique Rose Emporium in Brenham, Texas.  It was named for an exceptional early Texas settler, Dr. Gideon Lincecum (1793-1874), a physician, naturalist, historian and author.

At the end of August I returned to the rose test gardens in Farmers Branch to see which of the 100 varieties planted back in 2008 were looking their best after a long hot summer.

 There were several white roses that looked particularly good, with lots of healthy leaves and flowers.


This is Cole's Settlement, another pioneer rose. After seven years it's about 4'x3', and looking full and healthy.


Here is my Cole's Settlement when it was first planted. This has been a good rose for me, too. It's similar to Gideon Lincecum, but in my garden it doesn't produce quite as many flowers, and the leaves are not that very deep green that sets off the Lincecum blossoms so nicely.

I think both of them are prettier than Iceberg. This is my Iceberg rose. 
It looks best from a distance. I've seen it used as a hedge to great effect.


Also looking good in the trial gardens was Lion's Fairy Tale.
 Kordes introduced this rose in 2002, and it was the rose of the year in England in 2006. It's a tall and bushy floribunda with creamy, blush white flowers.  Even after day after day of temperatures topping 100 it was covered in new growth. I'm putting this one on my wish list.


Back home, Fourth of July has put on a great show all summer.


It's a wild and crazy climber, with lots of thorns. Fortunately it's in a corner away from any walking paths! I love the random white stripes.


These are the delicate pink blossoms of the Swamp Rose.


Planted just this spring, the bush is already a good sized 3'x3'.


Something stung me, right through my garden glove, as I was pruning a Knockout rose.
I dashed inside and put nail polish remover on it (yes, it helps, I don't know why).
It wasn't until the next day that I saw this wasp's nest right in the middle of the plant!
Nasty little critters!


Fall is coming and the pleasure of gardening in cooler days!



2 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for sharing. I had Gideon Lincecum at our old house. Three shrubs that did fine but not stellar most likely due to not in full sun. It was hit and miss. Since we have moved I have an area for a hedge - but it's around a pool. We planted some Pinwheel Gardenias that are really struggling. Card said full sun and I think that's a stretch. Anyway, are you still pleased with your Gideon Lincecum and how big and wide are they? ARE have it at 4-6 feet. I easily kept mine around 4-5 feet but they weren't that wide, maybe 3'. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It's mid-August, and has been so hot here the last few weeks that many of our plants looked half cooked. All of the rose have some black spot and leaf drop. We've been using the irrigation system more (it pulls from the lake) but it is not a drip type, so the roses suffer fungal disease in spite of applications of Bayer's systemic. That said, The Gideon L. still look pretty good, and so does Cole's Settlement - not blooming, but they have 3/4's of their leaves and loads of hips. Ours have stayed at three to three & half feet (measuring both ways) in full sun.
      I have one gardenia in full shade that is very happy. And one in half sun that is not long for this world.
      I am starting to think most plants labeled 'full sun' are not talking about Texas unless they are true natives!

      Delete