Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Guest Room and Garden

My most popular post continues to be the first one I wrote detailing how I made a quilted throw from a collection of vintage hankies (more than 17,000 hits to date!). I never would have guessed so many other people were as taken with these bright, graphic squares.  
Looking back I realized I had not shown any photos of where I use those throws. So for the other vintage hankie aficionados out there, here are a couple of photos of one of our guest rooms.


This is where I use the red and blue hankie throw.


The room has a vintage Texas feel, and the little quilt seems to fit right in.


There's a bit of red outside the guest house, too. The Turk's Cap is still in flower.


This is a perennial that dies back to the ground in cold weather, but comes back larger every year.
It is thriving in this dry and shady spot.


Also in bloom and attracting an amazing number of bumble bees are the blue flowering caryeopteris (left) and the Russian sage (right).


Giant swallowtail butterflies (Papilio cresphontes) love the vinca and the lantana.


So do the Gulf Fritillary butterflies.
Before they got their wings, they stripped the passion flower vines of every leaf.  I've never seen so many caterpillars. They were ravenous!


Two weeks later the vines had completely recovered - although I've yet to see a flower, much less a fruit, on these passion flowers.  But I planted them for the butterflies, so it's just as it should be.


The baby bearded iris that I ordered last spring arrived.
Blues and purples - I can't wait to see the flowers.


This is my mystery plant.  It popped up as a volunteer in a dry spot and has been thriving on its own.  It has pale blue/lavender flowers on ever lengthening wands. Does anybody know what this is?


It's almost October. The mornings are a touch cooler. 
We will be so happy to see the afternoons drop out of the 90's.
Come on Autumn!

Happy gardening!

4 comments:

  1. Your hankie throws are lovely and your photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilts and photos of them are gorgeous, no wonder it's a popular post.

    You have lots of beautiful flowers in bloom despite a long hot summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mystery plant looks like porter weed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katerina,
      I don't think that's it, although the leaves are similar. Looking at examples of porter weed on line - mine doesn't develop blossoms at the base of the wand. Instead the wands just keep getting longer, with the tiniest of blue buds at the tips...Thanks for the suggestion. I had not heard of porter weed before!

      Delete