Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Keukenhof Gardens

We had some amazing luck with the weather during our visit to The Netherlands.
The sun smiled on us during our morning at the Keukenhof Gardens.
   

Leaden skies suddenly parted, the sun came out, and there were ribbons of color everywhere!


It's hard not to gush.
The Keukenhof Gardens are a springtime dream of color.


Last year during this same week, there were no flowers.
A long and cold winter delayed the spring.


This year a mild winter gave way to an early spring, and so, lucky us (!), 
we saw these glorious gardens in full bloom.


Seven million bulbs are planted each fall for the gardens short, eight week open season.


The Kuekenhof was originally cultivated in the 1400's
 as a kitchen garden for Jacqueline, Countess of Hainaut.

(Wikimedia Commons)

In the mid 1800's landscape designer Jan David Zucher developed a comprehensive plan for the 79 acres of gardens around Castle Keukenhof.


Today the gardens are a showplace for growers and their hybrid bulbs.


The variety of color and form seems infinite!
I found it impossible to pick a favorite.


Around every curve in the path was a new delight.


I usually choose daffodils bulbs to spite the squirrels.


But after visiting the Keukenhof it's going to be even harder to resist those Dutch Bulb catalogs.


The growers planted classical combinations of color in some garden areas,


and more unusual combinations in other areas.


These dusky, grape colored tulips against the bright blue of the hyacinths caught my eye.


I might not have noted these lavender tulips in a catalog, but in combination with these other shades, thet suddenly have quite an impact.


If I lived in the Netherlands, I think I'd need a daily ticket for the Keukenhof Garden season!

3 comments:

  1. I want to go there so much! My mom just got back and raved about it. What a beautiful place. Love all all you images! This has been on my bucket list for some time, need to get there one day. Thanks you for sharing your gorgeous day with us, Suzanne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing colors--your photos are wonderful. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing!!! You must have thought you were in heaven. I think I would have wanted to just sit down there and soak it all in. Reminds me a little of Kingwood Center gardens in Mansfield, Ohio, although Kingwood is not as spectacular. Just lovely. So glad you had nice weather.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete