Monday, September 12, 2011

Tree ID

This weekend, while John worked on where to position the pier and boathouse, I spent my time with some tree identification booklets trying to determine what we have already growing on our lot.


This big guy, should he survive the heat, drought and perils of construction, will stand in the middle of our front courtyard. 
It turns out that tree identification is tricky business!  I am very grateful for my Master Gardener training and an excellent supplementary course I took last summer.  But, assorted tree guides in hand, I am still very much a beginner.  Fortunately, the trees we have left are fairly common in this part of Texas.  I feel safe in identifying this one as a Netleaf Hackberry (Celtis laevigata var. reticulata).  The curiously bumpy bark, small red berries, and rough textured leaves with asymmetrical bases are a give-away.
I was also able to identify a few Sugar Hackberry trees, two Gum Bumelia, a Blackjack Oak and what I think is a non-fruiting (hopefully) Osage-orange.


Another picture of a hole in the ground!
But this one is an actual pier, concrete and rebar included.
The next holes I hope to see will be for the geothermal system.

No comments:

Post a Comment